I remember my sister telling me when I was pregnant and anticipating the birth of my first child, "there is nothing like looking into your own eyes." I took her word for it, but now I know what she means. There is something deeply magical looking into your child's eyes. I realize not all children have the same "eyes" as their parents. Some children don't have the same genes as their parents. This isn't about the genes or the matching eye color or perhaps not even about a child. Maybe it is a spouse, friend or niece or nephew.
Looking into eyes can take you to another place. It's like travelling to a sacred place where life's distractions are lifted and for a moment, you have peace. It's where love runs deeper. It's where physical differences, abilities and disabilities aren't present.
I hope that when strangers look at my Isaac, they look into his eyes; that they do not stare at his physical differences. In the same breath; I hope they do not turn away and not look at him at all, for fear they might look too much. I hope rather, they look into his eyes and see the kindness, orneriness, joy and love that he is filled with.
I hope that people do not assume just because my Gabriel looks normal, that he has no pain or hardship. For so often, we (as in people including myself) look at the outside of someone. When they see a well-dressed, nicely manicured and put together person, we are so quick to judge.... that person is so happy, so wealthy....so whatever. Truth be told, we all have crosses to bear and pain to experience. I hope that people look into Gabriel's eyes and find out who he is. I hope they look to his eyes and they will see his love, his compassion, his spirit. An while yes, that might match his outside.... I want them to know the inside is where the true heart of a being lies.
We all have natural and God given gifts. We all have Love. They are within...some are deeply buried, some surfacing like a pot about to boil. Others are so aware of these gifts that they are exploding out to be shared with the world. I think that when we look into the eyes of another, we help to bring that LOVE that we all have within, out.
This Valentine's Day, I realized, just how important it is when we, "Eye Love You!"
No comments:
Post a Comment