Some people we know for a long time. In fact, you have known them so long and you met them at such a young age that you don't remember meeting them. Stacey has been my sister's best friend since the day they met in kindergarten. That means that I met Stacey when I was 2. I definitely don't remember meeting her, but I always remember following her and my sister, Amy around when they were hanging out. I would try to be just like them. I wanted to know everything they were doing and I basically idolized Amy and Stacey. I loved going to their games and watching them cheer. Stacey was even my cheerleading coach when I was in high school.
Stacey is this tiny, bubbly, smiling lady. When she had a daughter, it was no surprise that her little girl was as cute as a button just like Stacey. Every time that I have met Macey, I think I am meeting a miniature Stacey. Stacey and Macey are both little, bubbly people. They are little, but mighty. They have had to be fighters.
3 years ago, just after Macey's 6th birthday, Stacey found Macey screaming and limp early one morning. Her pediatrician believed it was a one-time seizure, but ordered and EEG just to be safe. Macey's test results were not what they expected. Macey had something called Benign Focal Epilepsy. This form of epilepsy comes in the form of infrequent seizures at night and usually they disappear by age 16. In the months to follow, she began having more seizures. Her condition appeared to be getting worse and it was affecting her memory.
After more testing, they discovered that Macey had a very rare form of epilepsy Macey called ESES (Electrical Status Epilepticus During Sleep). This causes her brain to never slow down and get into a deep sleep. It prevents information from going from her short term memory to her long term memory. This rare form of epilepsy affects less than 1% of the population of children with childhood epilepsy.
The last 3 years have been a roller coaster for Stacey, Macey and their family. They have spent many weeks at the Ronald McDonald House, away from family so that Macey can receive the best care at the Cleveland Clinic. Macey has endured so much testing and Stacey has been a rock right by her daughter's side.
Medication was helping Macey's condition, but in February an EEG showed 50% of her sleep was being affected by seizures. They soon began noticing it affected Macey's memory again. Today and throughout this week, Macey is back at the hospital for more testing and medication change.
Macey is a strong little girl. She has never once asked, "why me?" She does not feel sorry for herself, rather she walks with a smile and goes with the flow. She endures testing all with a smile on her face.
Please pray for this beautiful little girl, her mom and their family. Today I pray for Macey as she undergoes testing. I pray for her to be strong. I pray for complete healing for Macey and for results that show great improvement. I pray for Stacey to have strength and patience while she awaits results. I pray for Macey's brother and Dad.
Here is Macey and her big brother, Brent.

Oh Jill, thank you so much for posting this. We are in the waiting area with Macey as I write this getting ready for admission. I appreciate your love and support. You and your family are always on my mind and in my prayers as well. Love you girl! :)
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written, Jill! We have so many good memories of Stacey and Matt as we watched them grow through the years. Who would have known that the bond you formed would be a support as you both raise your children. Both families have a foundation of love and prayer will let your spirits soar. Love to you all, Mom
ReplyDeletePrayers for Macey -- what a beautiful girl!
ReplyDelete