Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day 17: Bernadette

Even though at times I have felt that I was the only person around with a difficult prenatal diagnosis, I know this is not true.  Everyday, women and men go into a ultrasound or receive results from a test that their unborn baby will be born with a birth defect, chromosomal disorder or may even have something that is not compatible with life.  

One website I found when I was pregnant was called, Prenatal Partners for Life.  http://prenatalpartnersforlife.org/index.htm  It is a great resource for parents that a child with special needs or that may be faced with the truth that their child will have special needs.  There was one story about a baby named Bernadette.  While pregnant her parents found out that she would have OEIS.  They found the best hospital for her and traveled across the country so that she could be delivered at the  best place for her.  When her mother went in for a non-stress test at 37 weeks they discovered their unborn daughter's heart had stopped beating.  When I read her story, my heart broke for her family.  Life can be so fragile.  When I read this, I was frightened and recognized that I wasn't sure what Isaac's future would hold.  

One year ago tonight I went into labor with Isaac at 34 weeks.  Right about now I received shots of the worse drug to hold off labor and steroids to help his lungs mature.  The odds have been stacked against my little Isaac at times, but he is a fighter.  Prayers have been answered and I am lucky that my little tough guy is here with us today.  
Here is baby Isaac at 3 days old recovering from surgery.  My little tough angel boy.  


Tonight, I pray for all of the families including Bernadette's family, that have faced or are facing a difficult prenatal diagnosis.  I pray that they find positive resources.  I pray that they belief that there is a plan for their baby.  No matter what the outcome, their child will touch their lives and bring love.  

If you have received a difficult prenatal diagnosis, I encourage you to go to this website and I hope you will find support in it.  http://prenatalpartnersforlife.org/index.htm



1 comment:

  1. "No matter what the outcome, their child will touch their lives and bring love." So true. Prayers for Bernadette.

    ReplyDelete